Our commitment to diversity
We are dedicated to making sure that equality, diversity, and inclusion are at heart of everything we do and we’re proud of the diversity of the communities we serve and the people we employ.
To us, equality, diversity, and inclusion are about respecting the physical and cultural differences of all our residents and employees, recognising the positive contribution it brings and ensuring that all people who come into contact with us, experience the same high standards of behaviour and service.
We are committed to valuing people as individuals, to promoting diversity and inclusion and to tackling the root causes of inequality and unfair discrimination.
Our Equality, Diversity & Inclusion action plan
The EDI strategy seeks to provide a clear vision for how we build on recent successes to contribute to delivering great homes, positive people and strong communities. Promoting inclusive working environments for our employees, valuing the diversity of our residents and communities is essential to delivering our vision.
The accompanying action plan sets out the key activities to be undertaken over the next 12 months in order to achieve the EDI objectives identified.
DOWNLOAD OUR EDI STRATEGY PLAN
Our key objectives are:
- Embedding Equality, Diversity and Inclusion into our core ethos – creating an inclusive organisational culture that celebrates diversity and offers everyone a chance to succeed
- Identifying opportunities and barriers related to recruitment progression - Achieving greater diversity at senior levels
- Providing residents and customers with equal access to services which have been shaped to reflect their diverse needs
- Measuring progress by ensuring we have regular and updated EDI data - Transparency
- Full commitment from Board and Exec to the EDI Strategy - Visible Leadership
Employee networks supporting diversity in the workplace
We have employee-led groups across Origin Housing which help us to identify and implement initiatives and changes to support an inclusive and diverse workplace.
DOPN – The Diverse Origin Professionals Network aims to play a key role in advocating for strategic and systemic changes that contribute to making Origin a more progressive, diverse and inclusive organisation for people from minoritised ethnic communities and empowering members with supportive tools, events, initiatives and networks to inspire them to reach their professional potential.
OPEN - Origin Pride Equality Network is a staff network to support LGBTQ+ employees. Member activities can range from raising awareness of the importance of LGBTQ+ inclusion among colleagues Promote Origin as inclusive place to work, providing confidential peer/buddy support for LGBTQ+ staff and reviewing policies and ways of working.
The Staff Council – The Staff Council is a consultative body, consisting of employee representatives from across the organisation. The Staff Council plays a crucial role in promoting the values of the organisation. In particular, it aims to encourage teamwork, open communication and a positive and productive relationship between employees, managers, SMG, Exec and the Board.
Disability Staff Network – The Disability Staff Network is a network we are in the process of forming to raise awareness of all types of disability.
We are a Disability Confident employer
We are an Equal Opportunities employer and operate a Disability Confident scheme, which means we are positive about staff with disabilities and have made commitments to employ, retain and develop the abilities of disabled staff.
We guarantee that applicants who have declared a disability on their application form, as long as they meet the minimum criteria outlined in the role, an interview for the job they have applied for.
What we have achieved so far
- Facilitated workshops about people’s perception of ED&I at Origin.
- Board trainee positions to be created for BAME individuals and training from Housing Diversity Network
- Sponsorship of staff places on Leadership 2025 and Leadership NOW!
- DOPN initiatives including speakers, celebrating Black History Month, supporting the Leadership NOW! scheme and Becoming members of Unify
- Suite of ED&I training including: Introduction to ED&I, Unconscious Bias for staff and for Managers, LGBTQ+ Awareness, Trans and Non-Binary Inclusion, Disability Inclusion in Practice and Menopause.
- Campaigns to attract underrepresented groups to apply to be on the Scrutiny and Spotlight resident panels
- Launched our Executive Director led mentoring aimed at a diverse staff talent pool
- In the wake of the George Floyd murder, a Black Lives Matter forum was set up in order for staff to share information and resources on the BLM movement.
If you would like any more information about Equality and Diversity at Origin Housing, please email email@example.com